Health Sciences Calendar
2005 - 2006

6.3.4 Licensing Regulations

Graduates from McGill may seek licensure around the world. Each country, province or state sets its own requirements for licensure which may necessitate examination, further course work and/or the TOEFL.

Certain provinces in Canada, states of the United States of America, and other countries require that those intending to practice occupational therapy or physical therapy within their borders comply with special provincial or state licensing regulations. Further information may be obtained from the offices of the associations listed under section 6.3.5 "Professional Organizations".

Graduates seeking licensure in the United States should be aware that recent reforms in licensing and immigration laws have led to new requirements for internationally educated health care professionals entering the country.

In order to practice occupational therapy or physical therapy in the province of Quebec, a permit must be obtained from the appropriate provincial regulatory body. Quebec law also requires that candidates seeking admission to the provincially-recognized Quebec regulatory bodies must possess a working knowledge of the French language, i.e., be able to communicate verbally and in writing in that language. For further information, refer to "Language Requirements for Professions" .

Occupational therapists practising in Canada (except Quebec and Manitoba) are required to pass a National Certification Examination after graduation. For information, write to the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (see below).

Physical therapists who graduated from 1993 onwards who wish to practice in provinces in Canada (other than Quebec) are required to pass a Physiotherapy National Examination. For confirmation, write to the Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulatory Boards.

McGill University